Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Smile, You’re On Candid Camera

Today’s gift was inspired by Kyle and Josh who started a film company called Give Back Films. They were motivated to pay it forward after hearing stories like this one:

Jessica Eaves from Guthrie, Oklahoma recently had her wallet stolen by a man while she was grocery shopping. Most people in that situation would immediately get the authorities involved, but she found a way to resolve her problem herself. 

 

"I saw this gentleman down the aisle from me," Jessica tells us. "He walked behind me, and when I got a couple of aisles over, I realized my wallet was gone. I spotted him in a crowded aisle and approached him," she continues. “I'm a pretty out-there personality, but I was quiet and calm.” I said to him, “I think you have something of mine. I'm gonna give you a choice. You can either give me my wallet and I'll forgive you right now, and I'll even take you to the front and pay for your groceries." 



The alternative? Jessica reporting him to the police. "He reached into his hoodie pocket and gave me my wallet," she recalls, adding that the man was extremely grateful for her help and forgiveness. "He started crying when we walked up to the front," she says. "He said he was sorry about 20 times by the time we went from the pickle aisle to the front. He told me he was desperate." She spent $27 on his groceries, which included milk, bread, bologna, crackers, soup and cheese. "The last thing he said was, 'I'll never forget tonight. I'm broke, I have kids, I'm embarrassed and I'm sorry.'" 



"Some people are critical because I didn't turn him in, but sometimes all you need is a second chance," she adds. 



This generosity and desire to help others is a major part of Jessica's life. Though she's a full-time college student, United Way employee, wife and mother of four, she still finds time to work with the Christian Outreach in her community and spends up to 12 hours per week volunteering. 

Says Jessica, "My brother and I lost my dad to suicide when I was seven, and I remember him telling me years ago that no matter what I become in life, to always, always be kind."

Every Monday Kyle and Josh videotape giving something away and post it to their YouTube site. They said they have been blessed in their lives and they want to help others who haven’t been as fortunate.

They gave $200 to servers in restaurants and heard amazing stories about how much the receivers needed it, $100 to homeless people that they saw on the streets and bought gas for people’s cars. The most amazing story was when they bought people’s food behind them in line at a fast food restaurant. People started paying it forward and buying food for people behind them. Finally, Kyle and Josh had to go home because everyone in line had food purchased for them.

Today’s gift was to help someone who needs money. But, I knew that if I offered money, this person would not accept it. I discovered a way to give them cash anonymously. The Post Office offers a service that when you mail your letter to them, they will postmark it from another city before mailing it on.

Recalling a line from the old Candid Camera television show, “Don't be surprised if sometime, somewhere, someplace when you least expect it, someone steps up to you and says, Smile! You're on Give Back Films!”

In Giving,


Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment