Saturday, November 16, 2013

Assembly Instructions Not Included

  • UPS delivered a long thin box.
  • Two umbrellas were inside wrapped in plastic.
  • Seven-foot tall stands were included.
  • The energy efficient, spiral, fluorescent light bulbs were packed in bubble wrap.
  • There were three light sockets.
  • The compact black carrying case was the same shape as the box.
  • Printed on the only piece of paper in the box was a link to a YouTube video for assembly instructions.

I could hardly contain my excitement about the arrival of this box of seemingly, unrelated items that I had ordered two days ago. It arrived right on the schedule, just as the company said that it would. And it is just in time for my project.

Several years ago I had rented the same equipment, but it didn’t include directions or a link to a video. So I learned to put it together on my own. As I put the pieces of this puzzle together, I reminisced about that time.

It was the night of the Academy Awards on television. I remember that because I wore my finest evening gown to the event in the resort where we were living. The red carpet was laid from the front door down the long hallway to the ballroom. People arrived under the canopy of the hotel in limousines, Mercedes and Audi’s. The valet opened their car doors before whisking their car off to a parking place. As the couple stepped out of the car make-believe fans, clamoring for autographs, welcomed them. The music, the posters, the food and drinks all made for a festive event.

Only I wasn’t one of the attendees. I was the paparazzo! I had been hired to be the official photographer for the evening. I got some great photos of the shock and awe from the guests when they arrived at the event. After most of the people arrived I returned to the location that I had set up earlier in the day. I had official-looking photo equipment. The stage set of the Oscars was the backdrop. I had translucent photo umbrellas, rented lights and light stands to mount them high into the air. It was an exhausting evening, but also fun to be part of the festivities.

Today’s gift was to spend time taking video of Tim, editing and uploading it for him. After I assembled my new lights, umbrellas and light stands, we shot a video for him to send to teachers and principals in the school district telling the exciting results of one of the sustainability projects that he has been working on with them—recycling. Just like life, you make it up as you go along. If you have two minutes, check it out below.

In Giving,


Robin


No comments:

Post a Comment