Friday, November 15, 2013

It Plays Like a Symphony

If you’ve ever arrived early at a symphony orchestra concert you probably experienced the musicians warming up their instruments. It may have sounded like a children’s playground with wild and unusual noises coming from the stage.

Several years ago my friend, Kathy Mattea, was a special guest vocalist with a symphony in Utah. She described her prior experiences singing with symphonies as a really moving occurrence. She invited me to the afternoon practice session before the performance.

When I arrived the musicians had begun warming up. As soon as the conductor appeared on stage, everyone turned their attention to him. He directed them through a song and then he introduced Kathy. I could feel the tension in the large, concert hall. I didn’t see any of them roll their eyes, but nonverbally, it felt like it.

Kathy began by saying that she knew how hard they had worked to get to play in this symphony. She told them that she respected and admired their dedication to their music and welcomed their feedback. She wanted them to have fun with the songs. Some of musicians lifted their gaze slightly from staring at the speck of lint on their pant leg, but still appeared skeptical.

They were fairly reserved with the first song, but it was beautiful. Kathy complimented them on how well it worked. With each song more of the symphony players started loosening up. I even saw the corners of a few of the violin players’ mouths turn up ever so slightly. I listened as each song became closer to being one with Kathy’s voice. After several songs there was no distinction between where the music ended and Kathy’s voice began. It sounded like . . . well . . . a symphony.

Then Kathy started getting playful with the songs and the musicians would lightheartedly respond. It was magical. By the time the rehearsal was complete, they all seemed to have had so much fun they were sorry to see the practice session end. Before they left the stage, they gave Kathy a standing ovation! This reminded me of how much fun music can be. I wanted to send some musical joy to someone.

Today’s gift was to send an ITunes song to a friend. The song I sent to her reminded me of another song that I know she loves. I hope it will make her smile and feel that it plays like a symphony.

In Giving,


Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment