Thursday, November 7, 2013

Fundraising Angel of Hope

In the late 1990’s and early 2000’s I was captivated by the television series Touched by an Angel. The series starred Roma Downey, as an angel named Monica, and Della Reese, as her supervisor Tess. Throughout the series, Monica is tasked with bringing guidance and messages from God to various people who are at a crossroads in their lives. Andrew the angel of death, played by John Dye, frequently joined them along with well-known guest stars.

During the first season when Episode #8 aired, I invited my friends to a “Watch Party.” Rue McClanahan who starred in the Golden Girls and Robin Thomas, a dreamy soap opera actor were the guest stars. Although they were the better-known celebrities, there was one other notable person in the show—me!

I responded to a newspaper casting call for the television show and left a voice mail message. One week later at 10:00 p.m., the casting company called and said they needed me at 6:00 a.m. the following morning. Flashing through my mind was how would I learn my lines that quickly. But then they explained I would be an extra, a nonspeaking role in a background probably in an audience or in a busy street scene.  

During the day I watched them transform an ordinary house into a mansion. It was so exciting—the hair, makeup and the clothes. There was lots of time to talk to other actors who I recognized from other movies and shows. During the day Della Reese would point to one of the extras that she chose to play chess or checkers with her.

My big debut took about an hour to film during short segments throughout the 16-hour day. The scene was in a huge dining room at a prestigious social event with Robin Thomas delivering a speech. I was seated across the table from Rue. Della was just a few chairs away. I was positioned for lots of screen time and couldn’t wait to see the finished show.

At the Watch Party my friends enjoyed the show, but doubted that I was really in it. I assured them that I was and rewound the videotape and played it in super slow motion. They could see my ear on the edge of the screen. As the saying goes, most of my scene ended up on the cutting room floor.

I was inspired by the storyline of the shows because at the lowest point of the story, when there seemed to be no resolution of the dilemma, Monica appeared surrounded by a white light. A miracle transpired. It reminded me of another situation that needs a miracle.

Klamath Community College placed a $9.85 million bond measure on the ballot; however, the voters did not pass the measure. The college president has an impressive strategic plan that builds for the future. It will take a miracle, such as the ones that were demonstrated on Touched by an Angel to be able to continue growing the college without the needed funds.

Today’s gift was offering to help Klamath Community College with their fundraising efforts even though it seemed that Andrew, the angel of death, might have visited. With a good plan and the help of concerned citizens, there may be hope that the needed funds can be raised.

In Giving Hope,


Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment